Thursday, May 21, 2009

Coke Story

So today I 'bought a stranger a Coke.' It sounds random, but it was actually an assignment for MCom 320. Brother Clarke wanted us to buy someone we didn't know a 'Coke' (meaning any soda or drink). I thought about who, when, and how I was going to do this assignment. At first I was excited! It reminded me of when my family would go through a drive-through at a fast food restaurant around Christmas time. When we pulled up to the window to pay my dad would also pay for the dinner of the car behind us. We always tried to see the reaction on the people's faces when they pulled up to the window and realized they didn't have to pay. It was so fun for us kids!

This assignment seemed very similar except I had to give a stranger the Coke face-to-face. That was probably the most intimidating part. I tried a couple of times to muster up the courage, but failed. Then I just made myself do it.

I went to the deli in the Tanner building and decided to buy a lemonade. I was looking around to see who I could give it to and the only person around was the girl at the cash register. So I casually started to talk to her about her work and the hours of the deli. I didn't just want to hand her a lemonade without saying a word- I would be freaked out if someone did that to me. So we talked for a couple minutes and then slid the drink towards her and said, "Well this is for you. I hope you have a great day!" Then I left. I really wanted to see her reaction, but it would be weird if I just stood around and watched her, so I left.

It was amazing how happy I felt afterwards! I thought about how she would be feeling, what she was thinking about me, how the lemonade affected her day, and what she might do afterwards. It would be so exciting if she decided to buy a stranger a coke too and a chain of good deeds would keeps going. You just never know what long-lasting effects your small deeds can have.

No comments:

Post a Comment