Sunday, June 7, 2009

What I would do if I didn't have to worry about $

One day in class, Brother Clarke had us write about what we would do for a job if we didn't have to worry about money. He said we could get at least $1 million a year. I can't imagine a world like that, but it did make me think about what I want to do with my life. So many of my decisions are based on my finances and the economy. My parents are always counseling me to be practical and economical. Especially with the bad economy, scarce jobs, and the U.S. government getting into so much debt the future can seem a scary place. But if I could put that all aside there are many things I would like to do.

If money wasn't an object in my career I probably would do something similar to what I do now. Right now I teach private violin lessons and coach at a community youth orchestra. I love helping kids learn to love music and become artist. I also enjoy improving policies and procedures for our orchestra as the business manager.

Besides continuing to do some degree of work that I already do I would fulfill my dream to be in a professional music group. I wouldn't want to be a big music star and have to deal with paparazzi, but I'd rather play my violin in a professional symphony, on a movie soundtrack, or in a country music band. I wouldn't want to go solo because I enjoy playing music more in a group with my family and friends. I've always wanted to be in the Orchestra at Temple Square (which I'm planning to do sometime during my lifetime) and go tour the world. Another fun idea would to put together a family ensemble with my siblings, cousins, uncles, and aunts that play instruments and perform do local shows for fun. That would be fun, but it would only be possible if we didn't have to worry about money. Musicians don't get paid very much unless their at the very top of the charts, which takes incredible amounts of talent, training, and luck. I hope I will have some opportunities to fulfill my musical dreams- you never know- maybe next week I'll get offered a big record deal and be on the radio! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment